About ECOPACK Bulgaria
ECOPACK Bulgaria is a joint-stock company created in 2004 by 18 leading Bulgarian and international companies. The organization was established in accordance with the Waste Management Act, which introduced the extended producer responsibility principle and obliged all producers and importers of packaged goods in the Bulgarian market to collect, recycle, and recover a set percentage of the total amount of packaging waste generated after the use of their products.
ECOPACK Bulgaria does not distribute profit and manages the separate collection, recycling and recovery of packaging waste on behalf of its member companies. The license fees paid by its members only cover the costs of organizing, administering, and reporting the process of collection, recovery, and recycling of packaging waste, as well as conducting public awareness campaigns fostering responsible attitudes towards separate collection and recycling.
How does the system function?
The Waste Management Act introduces the concept of “extended producer responsibility” – an environmental principle implemented as a set of measures aimed at reducing the overall environmental impact of a given product by introducing obligations and responsibilities of the producer during the entire life cycle of the product, its take-back, reuse, recycling, recovery, and safe disposal of waste generated as a result of product use.
It is the strategic goal of ECOPACK Bulgaria to meet the obligations of our member companies as regards the recovery and recycling of packaging waste from packaged goods placed on the market in the most efficient and reliable manner, consistent with sustainable development principles.
We are committed to meet the requirements and to continually improve the efficiency of the system for separate collection of packaging waste, to adhere to ethical standards and maintain transparency in the management of the company and in relations with institutions, clients, and consumers, to work with care for society and nature.
We work with specialists who guarantee to our business partners the professional and expert execution of our services related to packaging waste management and to meeting the obligations to recover and recycle packaging waste.
We organize public awareness campaigns and encourage responsible attitudes and behavior of consumers with a view to protecting the environment and promoting the separate collection of packaging waste.
ECOPACK Bulgaria is a major supplier to the recycling industry, with a market share exceeding 40% and supplying raw materials to 27 recycling plants.
ECOPACK Bulgaria has installed 16 waste sorting lines, and has put in place 18 130 color-coded containers, serving a total population of 2.543 m in 88 municipalities.
Our work has been distinguished with awards in the field of environmental protection:
- 2016 – two out of three awards in the category “Green communications and urban environment” in the competition of the Bulgarian PR association PR Priz.
- in three consecutive years (2014, 2016, 2017), has won the Green Oscar award in the category “Recycling industry and waste management” in the Greenest Companies in Bulgaria competition organized by b2b Magazine
- 2014 – the award for Investor in the Environment in the competition organized by the Bulgarian Business Leader Forum.
- 2013 – Corporate Social Responsibility award in the competition organized by Ikonomika Magazine.
- 2013 – Second prize in the world competition for best public awareness campaign by ISWA (International Solid Waste Association) out of 48 entrants from 27 countries on 4 continents.
We implement European standards and practices in our work as the only Bulgarian member organization of ProEurope (general licensor of the Green Dot trademark), and founding member of EXPRA (Extended Producer Responsibility Alliance).
1,200 companies have placed their trust in the professionalism of ECOPACK Bulgaria.
Our members have access to a fast, convenient and user-friendly online reporting system.
Striving to offer service quality meeting the highest international standards, ECOPACK has implemented the integrated quality management system EN ISO 9001:2008 and regarding the environment, EN ISO 14001:2005 (certification body TÜV Rheinland).
Membership in international and national organizations:
In line with its commitment to shared social responsibility, ECOPACK Bulgaria is a member of a number of business and non-governmental organizations:
- Packaging Recovery Organisation Europe (PRO EUROPE)
- Extended Producer Responsibility Alliance (EXPRA)
- Confederation of Employers and Industrialists in Bulgaria (KRIB);
- Bulgarian Soft Drinks Association (BSDA);
- The American Chamber of Commerce in Bulgaria (AmCham);
- Hellenic Business Council in Bulgaria (HBCB);
- United Nations Global Compact Network Bulgaria
Who can benefit from ECOPACK services?
- ECOPACK services are intended for all entities that import, acquire, or produce packaged goods for the Bulgarian market.
- Relations between ECOPACK and its members are governed by a standard contract for all companies joining the collective system in place.
- By signing the contract, members transfer to ECOPACK their obligation to collect, recover, and recycle all packaging they release onto the Bulgarian market, regardless of the material.
- ECOPACK, on behalf of its members, takes on the obligation to meet the packaging waste recovery and recycling targets set by law.
Comparison between ECOPACK and state rates:
|Packaging material [kg]||ECOPACK Rate [BGN/kg]*||State Product Tax - EMEPA [BGN/kg]|
|Paper and cardboard||0.145||0.67|
* Price before discount and VAT